random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My friend La Vern sent me a great link.

www.storyofstuff.com -

go check out the video. It is 20 minutes long but so well worth the time. It's not designed to make you feel guilty - but to educate and to offer alternatives for our crazy and unsustainable lifestyle.

One of the most interesting bits of info I learned was in how we became such a consumer driven society in the first place. The host quotes Victor Lebow who was an economist after the war. His teaching changed everything...


Our enormously productive economy… demands that we make consumption our way of life, that we convert the buying and use of goods into rituals, that we seek our spiritual satisfaction, our ego satisfaction, in consumption… We need things consumed, burned up, worn out, replaced, and discarded at an ever increasing rate.
- Victor Lebow, 1955


and didn't we all just buy into this philosophy hook, line and sinker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home