random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

I'll be really honest - today I feel overwhelmed, profoundly and deeply sad. Even as I look outside and I see glorious mountains capped with snow, blue sky and spring flowers starting to bloom. So while MY world is beautiful and blessed - elsewhere it just ain't so.

Our world is so broken. Maybe I should stop listening to the news. But maybe it is important to have my heart break with the tragedy of the world. It started a couple days ago as I watched the frustration and irritation of the people of Zimbabwe as they wait for results from an election that, with each passing day, appears to be rigged. This morning I heard a radio documentary about babies in Kenya. Babies born of incest that are abandoned because of the deep rooted cultural belief that these babies are cursed and that they will bring death and destruction into any village that they are a part of. Incest and rape are a huge problem. Why? Because AIDS has left children vulnerable and open to abuse. Social agencies cannot keep up with the volume of babies in their care. And this is on top of children living with AIDS already in the care of agencies. These children are virtually un-adoptable so they will live and die in government run homes. This documentary was followed up by a story of the men who died off the coast of Newfoundland/Labrador. Lost at sea while being "rescued" by the Coast Guard. Four families forever changed. This all on top of Iraq and Afghanistan, of violence in Somalia and Tibet.

Our world is broken.

I don't necessarily want to be cheered up. I actually think it is a good thing to feel the weight of the world's woes on occasion. It keeps perspective for me. My life is not the norm for the majority of the world. It is easy to become self centered. So I guess I'll accept the sorrow of this day knowing my sorrow is nothing compared to the people who are enduring the pain directly.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for blogging. You always make me think and be thankful for what I have which inculudes you and all your family.

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know how you feel. my heart was broken for some of the children of Guatemala that need to work in coffee fields with their mothers in order to eat. i'll tell you more details later.

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home