random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The word of the month is "revolution". Yah. Odd word to have bouncing around in my head as we prepare for the holidays. But it seems that everywhere I go, I circle around to this thought of revolution.

Dictionary definition: REVOLUTION: a sudden, complete or marked change in something.

In my conversations and readings I keep coming back to this. There is a problem with our economy. There is a problem in North America status quo culture. I just heard Jackson Katz, a lecturer/author/activist speak yesterday, and he was fascinating and passionate about the violence in our culture - specifically violence by men, toward women. Google his name to find out more about him. As we prep for Christmas, I observe these sentimental and somewhat benign tributes to mark the birth of the Son of God.

And I guess this is where I end up. How is it that people (myself included) who profess to follow this man Jesus, do not appear to have had a revolution take place within them. How is it that we look, act, think like everyone else?

Look at some of what He said.

"If anyone would follow me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever want to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it." Luke 9:23

"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give and it will be given to you.: Luke 6:37

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbour and hate your enemy. But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you..." Matthew 5:43

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbour as yourself." Matthew 22:37-39

How can we read these words and not recognize that if we lived these truths out in our lives we would be revolutionaries. We would be boat rockers and completely contrary to our culture.

Jesus called us to so much more than our comfortable North American lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home