random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Monday, August 29, 2005

I'm just getting my kids into bed. They're just watching the end of Mary Poppins. I watched the scenes with Uncle Albert laughing so hard - unable to stop. I watched my girls giggling as they heard the jokes they've heard many many times before. It made me laugh. We danced up a storm as the chimneysweeps danced upon the rooftops....it makes me realize how rarely we just bust a gut and laugh. Uncontrolled, unabashed laughter.

It also makes me realize how sad I've been lately. Our friend Janice, who I've written about before is about to breathe her last. She is 43 years old, she'll be leaving 3 kids 18, 19, and 20 years old. I watch my sister who has given the better part of these last few months to be a strong support for both the children and for Janice. I am sad for Janice, although as her pain increases I look forward to the freedom and joy she'll have in heaven, I'm sad for 3 children who have had to watch their mom die and will continue their lives without her, and I'm sad as I watch my sister carry burdens that are so heavy. Watching my sister I see someone who has been Jesus to this family. I've seen her deny herself countless times as she gives over and over again. I've seen her determined to work things out for these children who are not hers but whom she cares for as if they were. I've learned from my little sister. I've learned a lot. and while I do not have the same gifts or personality as she does, I've learned that one of my gifts is to support her in prayer and in caring for her kids and trying to fill in the gaps for her as best as she will let me. I've also realized as I type this, that I've got to try harder to care for her, give more to the task of being a support to her.

Look around you - who is it who needs to be lifted up and cared for? The ones who need it most are probably those who will let you know the least. They are the ones quietly working away doing God's work. Seek them out. Encourage them. Refresh them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home