random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Monday, August 01, 2005

I recently discovered Elizabeth O'Connor.

What a find! I found her book "The New Community" at a secondhand store and for the bargain price of 50 cents picked up a precious jewel.

I wrote a while back about reading things that challenge you, that make you think - possibly could change your life. For me, this could be the catalyst. She has another book "Call to Commitment" which is now #1 on my list of books to track down.

Listen to this...

"The ultimate political act is the creation of community. I believe this. The building of community is the ultimate revolutionary act. Christ did not simply tell us to love one another. He "acted out" what he was talking about, striving with twelve to create a miniature model of the community he was foretelling. Community energizes, injects spirit, sends out waves of hope, attracts, and finally disturbs ordinary patterns of thinking and reponding, which is the reason an authentic expression of community often threatens the established order and in time finds itself in oppostition to existing powers."

So much to think about....good thing I'm going on holidays.

1 Comments:

Blogger rudy said...

I think I have most of Elizabeth O'Conner's books. I'll check to see if I gave them away or still have them. She was huge for me a while back and still informs my life.

smiles,
rudy

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home