random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I have finally (after many many weeks) finished reading my first Noam Chomsky book. You may not be familiar with this man if you are from the US but he is quite famous here in Canada. Although it needs to be said - he is an American linguist professor. But chiefly he is known for his activism.

The book was titled "Imperial Ambitions" and is a written interview done following 9/11 , but before George Bush was re-elected. ....makes me wonder what he makes of that?! He is a brilliant and learned man.

Just to say straight out - he is very much against the Iraq war. He makes some strong assertions and has the ability to back them all up. I can't sum up everything he said. I wish I could. In remembering back, I think his number one challenge for Americans would be to THINK. Think on your own and ask questions. Lots and lots of questions. Don't assume you can trust the government. Don't believe automatically. Automatic trust and implicit faith do not make you a good American. Questions make you wise and informed. They allow you to draw your own conclusions, they allow you to discover ALL the facts - not just the ones one particular group of people want you to find.

It is difficult to see how more than 50% of Americans believe that Iraq had anything to do with 9/11. It didn't. NOTHING. There were no weapons. NONE. The US has broken numerous international laws - and admitted it - but because they are the biggest and the richest - and they are creating their own new laws. For many years the US Government gave millions to Saddam & his regime for weapons development among other things. This was not hidden. They chose to look the other way when he committed the numberous atrocities that he is being tried for today. That is they ignored him until he stopped being willing to be controlled by them. NOw they are saying they are fighting for a democratic Iraq. Really? What if that democracy elects a government that is not partial to the US? Is that ok? Realistically, the government will probably be Shiites, since they make up the majority of the population. So if they are elected, then they join together with other countries (Iran and Saudi Arabia to name a couple) who also have Shiite majorities and together they start wielding some power - do we really believe that the US will be okay with this? So the truth is that the US doesn't want a democracy in Iraq - they want a US controlled "democracy" in Iraq.

I could go on. BUT fortunately I've got Spanish class. I'd better walk there so that my blood cools down a little....

Adios hermanas y hermanos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home