random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

It would seem that Canadians are no longer peace keepers. I can't tell you the feelings that this fact creates in me. I am profoundly sad. So now as the Canadian troops enter into combat in Afghanistan we are seeing a rise in casualties.

Now I do not in any way support what this "mission" in Afghanistan has become. I don't think we should be there. I am fully, totally and in every way against war.

BUT I will honour and respect any soldier and their families that serve. And when they die I will mourn. Loss of life is devastating. period. But it would seem that our country will not be lowering the flag in their honour any longer. They are permanently "reinstating protocol." So I guess the simple gesture of flying a flag half mast was breaking protocol. Wouldn't want to break protocol for the sons and daughters who have chosen to serve their country in this way and end up sacrificing their lives. Nope. They get their day on Nov. 11. I'm sorry but that is absurd. It is disrespectful to both them and their families.

The cynical side of me believes the Mr. Harper (in true George Bush fashion) desires to prevent the public at large with seeing the number of casualties this mission will produce. Out of sight - out of mind. If Canadians start seeing too many caskets... well, those who do support this mission, may start changing their minds -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home