random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Well, we're home. and we had an amazing and well, amazing time. I'm still pondering my thoughts on our travels so I'll save that for another post.

In the meantime, here are some thoughts from a book by Scott Savage called "A plain life". He is a Quaker and this book is one of several he has written. I am never going to be a Quaker - but there are ideas and beliefs within Quakerism that appeal to me in a big way. The book is littered with counter-culture thoughts and ideas. Counter-culture in that he and his family are simple living, back to the land, non-consumers. I came across a thousand great quotes but of course, as I look back over, I can't find them now! I did manage to grab the page numbers of a couple of my faves. Here they are for your thought processes...

"...In my earlier life, one of the things that began to wake me from my lack of awareness about how technology functions in our society was the question of who decided on the range of choices we have been given. Who made it hard to buy organic food at the supermarket but easy to buy food that had been factory farmed? Who took away my neighbors and gave me a burglar alarm to replace them?"

"...If we had a motto, it might be the opposite of the one I heard in the 1960's telling us to "turn on, tune in, and drop out." Our revolutionary slogan could urge the world to turn off (virtual reality), tune out (advertising and materialism), and drop in (on your neighbors, to let them know it's time to stop being lonely in America). Drop in - into something more real, more loving, than what you're currently experiencing."

hmmmmmm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home