random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Monday, May 28, 2007

and now for something completely different.

or maybe not. Different than say, Doug and Bob but not so different from a few months back when I had an accident that could have gone much differently for me.

On Friday I was driving down to the airport to pick up Reid from his NYC trip. Caris and her friend Nicolas were in the back and we were near the Langley exit (200th St) when the car in front of me slammed on his brakes. I in turn of course put mine on but realized quickly that we were not going to stop. From there I swerved into the left lane and spun out of control. We wound up on the boulevard sliding sideways on our wheels finally stopping and tipping over onto our side. My side. To say I was shaken is an understatement. However adrenaline quickly kicked in and after establishing that we were all okay proceeded to get the kids & eventually myself out of the vehicle. Lots of people stopped to help. Bless them. And paramedics, firemen and the police were there in a matter of minutes. It was my first accident and wow, was it something I hope never to repeat again. My dad is pretty sure that my front right tire blew because there was really no reason to lose control like I did. And I actually remember thinking as we were swerving "hmmmm, I'm not going fast enough for this to be happening - surely I will stop soon..."

So all that said - I again, have learned a couple things. One, is that these two 12 year olds were awesome. As we were first starting to lose control the first, and I mean the first thing out of Nicolas' mouth was a prayer. It was great to know that they have it in them to pray first. What a lesson. They also listened and obeyed without question when they needed to. They totally pulled through and didn't let emotion take over until we were all out, safe and taken care of. I love these two. Second, I realized something about control. You see, we create these safe, well controlled environments for ourselves and our families. We plan and orchestrate and we try to think of everything. And I don't know that there is anything wrong with this. HOWEVER, ultimately we are not the ones in control. The bottom line is in God's hands. Always. We do what we can but in the end it is all about God. I learned that I can drive safely, under the speed limit, defensively, etc etc and still accidents happen. I can create walls around me and those I care about but really, I must remember that we are all in God's hands.

1 Comments:

Blogger Juanita Stauffer said...

Cindy,

Glad to hear you are OK. Sounds scary.

While I'm thinking of it, can you email me if you are still coming through in June? We'd love to see you. I couldn't find your email address so this is the next best way to contact you, I hope!

Juanita

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home