random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Friday, June 08, 2007

I'm re-reading a book I read a couple years ago. "Soul Salsa" by Leonard Sweet. Check out some of the chapter titles. "Bounce your last cheque", "Never Graduate", Give History a shove", "Build a compost heap". There are more - all are challenging and encourage a more thoughtful, fulfilling life. I'm enjoying it once again. The book is full of quotes and I've come across a couple (or so) that have struck me.

"The entire object of true education is to make people not merely do the right things, but to enjoy them; not merely industrious, but to love industry; not merely pure, but to love purity; not merely just, but to hunger and thirst after justice."
~Philosopher/critic John Ruskin

"Progress is impossible without change; and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything." ~George Bernard Shaw

"We do not want to be beginners. But let us be convinced of the fact that we will never be anything else but beginners, all our life!"
~Thomas Merton

These are all thoughts from the chapter "Never Graduate". Who can ever have enough knowledge? Who can say "I have learned it all, I'm done!" I am surrounded by a world, by a community, by people who have much to teach me.

We...I need only be open.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home