random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I was at a funeral yesterday. It was for a local first nations woman who lived on the street. She was a serious alcoholic and probably had a few other addiction besides. I went because our good friends have her children as their foster children. And we love them.

It was held out at the Chawathil Reserve in the community hall. A few things struck me. There was a poster on the wall with pictures of Charmaine - as a child, a teen, a mom. On this poster were all kinds of words describing Charmaine. Daughter, mom, cousin, auntie, friend, etc etc. When we see people who abuse substances, who live on the street, who are difficult - we so quickly label them. But we don't remember those other labels of 'daughter, mom, auntie, friend'.

It was a "Shaker" service. Which I still don't really understand. It began with drumming and the songs, I suppose, of mourning and remembrance. I love this. I love the drums, the songs without words. It is very guttural, very basic, very earthy. It touches something deep down inside me. Then Charmaine's brothers and sisters gathered around her coffin (canoe they called it), held candles and 'sang' and prayed. Finally, they circled the coffin, we all stood and it ended with a viewing. Following this was a potluck lunch. Many in the Chawathil community were there.

I didn't enjoy the whole service. But there were elements I loved. It was interesting.

The most powerful thing for me was the challenge to look beyond a persons exterior. To look beyond the addictions, the mental health issues, the simple fact that they are different from me. To look and see a person. A human being who is someone's daughter or son, someone's friend. Someone who, just like me is in need of love and acceptance. As they are. For who they are and not who I expect them to be.

And when I can see past all the junk and love them - I proclaim the Kingdom of God. Because in God's Kingdom - no one is unlovable, no one goes hungry or is cold. No one unreachable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home