random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Monday, January 04, 2010

I woke up with thoughts...musings....so I thought maybe I would write them down here and see where it goes.

So, our Government has 'pirogued' parliament yet again. Essentially shut parliament and democracy down until after the Vancouver Olympics. If nothing else, this tells us that Stephen Harper is a pretty smart strategist. Because parliament will not be meeting until into March, the opposition cannot continue to probe about the torture and abuse of Afghan detainees, it also cannot pick up on our pathetic showing at Copenhagen.(But for the record, I don't know that the Liberals would have shown any better at Copenhagen!). No more questions regarding the Conservatives giving so much more stimulus cash to their own ridings. What I think that this will do is carry us into Spring where the Conservatives will set their course to provoke a general election. Why? Because it looks like they will be able to form a majority. Finally. The Liberals...well, let's just say Mr. Ignatieff is not measuring up to be the saviour we thought he might be once upon a time for the Liberal party. He is low low low in the polls. And so is his party. The NDP - I'm pretty confident that Canada as a whole is not prepared to have an NDP government and so that leaves the Conservatives with a pretty slam dunk kind of election.

Of course, things could change. Some great story or screw up or scandal could change everything.

But the other random thought bouncing in my head is the Afghan war. Or more specifically the soldiers who are brought home from it. I LOVE that way our men and women are returned home. Families and cameras filming as their bodies, draped in a Canadian flag, are brought off the planes - with dignity and honour. I love that Canadians show up to show support for those families. I love the "Highway of Heroes" and the people and cars who stop to show their respect as the processional goes by. It has nothing to do with the war itself. Which I hate. I hate that we are in Afghanistan. It has everything to do with people. People who are grieving and just standing with them. In spirit.

It's such a simple thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home