random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Monday, November 28, 2005

What is Church?

That's what I've been thinking about for the last couple of days. Not in any particularly profound or deep way - just a simple question triggered by a comment someone made to me recently.

We went to a fundraiser dinner/dance on Sat. night. Very fun evening. We saw many people we knew - including a few couples who attend our Church and some other believers who don't. When we first arrived, a Christian friend said to us (okay, I have a terrible memory so I am only giving the gist of what he said) that this was 'Church'. Church? At the Legion? With us all standing around with glasses of wine? We chuckled a little - not really taking it to seriously. For me, that came later....

I got thinking about that idea...was it possible that an evening like that was 'Church'? Now, of course I'm not talking proper 'sing, hear a sermon, sing, go home' church. But here's kinda what got me thinking. There were many Christ followers there. They were befriending people. Hanging out, spending time with, becoming friends with, people who don't know Jesus yet. Some may have had opportunity to talk about spiritual things - but maybe not - maybe it was just a neutral place to invest in friendship. We shared a meal, we laughed, talked and as I talk, it is from my perspective of a person who loves Jesus. I can't help it. It is who I am. So Jesus was there. It also was a fundraiser. The money all went to help the poor in our community. Love our neighbour.

Hmmm.

Maybe it was Church. Maybe Christians reaching out in friendship to others, building community, feeding and caring for the poor. Maybe as they take Jesus outside of the building of the Church to the people who need Him - maybe THAT is Church.

Or at least a part of it. Understand, I LOVE Sunday a.m. Church service. I love gathering with other believers, worshipping, learning, sharing in communion. But it is just that - a PART of it.

What a great thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home