random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Monday, August 06, 2007

We kicked off August with a bang this year. We attended our first Pow wow. I wish I could find the words to express how much we all LOVED it. Now, for those who don't know, a pow wow is a gathering - an opportunity to dance. It features many different dances - traditional, fancy, chicken, shawl - and each dance is judged and the winners walk away with cash prizes. It's also opportunity for drummer teams to compete. It was fascinating to watch. The skill of the dancers, the absolute beauty of their regalia, the power and energy of the drummers and singers.

I am so thrilled that we were able to go this year. It was a cultural experience for our whole family. And the icing on the cake was that we could attend with our "potluck family" who, although we get together weekly for dinner, has never gone away together. It was great to be there with family,one of whom is a part of the Adams Lake Band and being able to share in a bit of her heritage was very special. We were also able to stay with her mom on reserve at Chase and we enjoyed her hospitality and kindness very much. It is a beautiful piece of BC.

I'm sure this trip to the Kamloops Pow Wow will become tradition. And you never know, maybe I can become one of the first female white drummers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home