random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Monday, January 30, 2006

I've spent the morning preparing for a couple of Bible Studies and I've been struck with the notion of grace. Specifically, the grace that is offered to us by the Almighty God. I use the word 'grace' so often that I think I've forgotten just what it means. Christians tend to over-use 'christiany" words, and I think that 'grace' has fallen into that trap.

In one of the studies, the author gave the example of Jean Valjean in Les Miserables. A perfect example. This character was imprisoned for 20 years for stealing a loaf of bread to feed his hungry family. Upon his release, he stays with a Bishop and ends up stealing this mans silver. Jean Valjean is caught, and protests his arrest saying that the silver was a gift. When he is brought before the Bishop, Jean is shocked to hear the bishop agree that yes, indeed it was a gift, but "you forgot to grab the candlesticks as well!" What grace!! The Bishop tells Jean as he leaves, that his life is no longer his own, he's been bought and now must live his life in thankfulness to God.(ok, that's my own very general paraphrase!)

Jean does. He lives in gratitude and thankfulness, every action tempered by the memory of the Bishop's love and act of grace.

How about us? How about me? I am a pathetic, sinful creature. Bought at a price - the highest price that can ever be paid. The death of an innocent Christ. Grace was offered to me in that moment - and I've accepted it. Sadly, it cannot be said that my every thought and action has been tempered by the memory of the grace offered to me by God. I've almost come to accept it as my right. As something deserved.

Today, I resolve to put some meaning back into the word 'grace'. To live my life, this day, as a rememberance of the gift given to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home