random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

It seems that improving my physical well-being has inspired me to improve other areas of my life too. It's kind of a nice side effect that I wasn't even really aware of.

I've always been a reader. A huge, gobble 'em up, type of reader. I can't really say when it happened or why - but somewhere along the line it did. I stopped reading. Well, reading anything that would challenge or inspire me. Occasionally I might grab an article or two, just so I didn't let my brain turned totally to jello, but other than the odd cheesy romance from the Church library, I stopped reading. It seems that as I let my physical self go, my intellectual and spiritual self got abandoned as well. Interesting.

Well, this week I've been eating very well, and exercizing - and so my physical health has benefitted. And in a very nice side benefit - my reading has REALLY picked up - well, it actually picked up roughly 3 wks ago when we started our slow healthy lifestyle change. I've currently got 4 books on the go - and I challenge you to keep yourself reading a VARIETY of books so that all corners of your brain can be challenged. Here's what's on my bedside table right now:

The diary of Judith Moffett who spent a year suburban homesteading. Wonderful book that is really making me( a TOTAL non-gardener type) want to grow all my own organic veggies. She's inspiring - and very very funny.

"Soul Shaper" by Tony Jones. A book about spiritual and contempletive practices for our soul. Very interesting reading. The Jesus Prayer, Meditation, Icons, the Labrynth.....

"The world is flat" by Thomas L. Friedman. A heady book talking about the flattening of our world and what that looks like for our global economy, for the future of business and foreign policy.

and of course one nasty murder mystery book to shut off my concentrating brain and let my imagination take over.

So the diet and exercize thing has had an unexpected side benefit for me. It makes you realize how interconnected our bodies are: physical, emotional, spiritual - improve one and you improve them all.

That Creator of ours, He's really smart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home