random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

I have a friend.

Yaya, I can hear your collective gasp "she has a friend?!" from here. I have a friend who is an inspiration.

We celebrated with her last night. She finished a social work diploma this year - with honours mind you, all the while raising 6 - yes, countem' SIX kids. Some of them with special needs. And she did it and did it well.

But guess what? That's not why we were celebrating. She has just celebrated her 5th year of sobriety. For anyone struggling with addictions, you know which was the bigger cause for celebration.

I wish I could express eloquently the feeling of watching someone be vulnerable before you. It's so painful, so humbling - it is such a gift. I can't believe that we have the honour of sharing in her and her husbands life and walking this incredibly difficult road with them. That they trust us enough - well, it is nothing short of amazing.

My friend is strong. Probably one of the strongest people I know. She has a strong sense of self, of family, of justice. She knows her weaknesses and she understands what it is to have to totally depend on God. She has lived a life that I would wish on no one. And she carries with her the past every day. But it doesn't control her. She lives very much in the present and she lives strong and well. She sees laughter and wants to join in. She sees pain and she wants to fix it. She sees injustice and she wants to fight.

I'm so proud of her. She will be the first to tell you that it is a day by day struggle. That it doesn't get easier.

But today - she is victorious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home