random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Monday, November 27, 2006

I just returned from the hospital. Today, Nov. 27 at 5:20 p.m. my Grandma passed away.

Emma Sherman Castle Knight aka: Grandma, was 95 years old. She had a long and healthy life. She was born in Saskatchewan in 1911. She lived through the depression, a couple of wars, the death of 2 husbands and a daughter. She was extremely healthy through her 80's and only seriously declined in the last few years. She had a heart attack yesterday and with the help of morphine, was able to pass away quickly and quietly with relatively no pain. My mom was with her, reading to her from her "Book of Common Prayer" when she left us to be with Jesus.

My mom was really prepared for her death. I mean, Grandma was NINETY FIVE. She had congestive heart failure for years, and was generally not well. But when the moment comes - boy, it's a whole new ball game. Are your really ever ready to say goodbye to your mom? My sister & I went and joined my mom and we sat with her and with the body that housed my Grandma. We talked about what she might be up to, we laughed at some of our memories, we looked through pictures and cried. Then we said "goodbye". It's an odd feeling. I'll never see her again, here anyway, - she'll be cremated and this body will be gone.

So, good-bye Grandma-great (as our kids all call her) - and in the words of one her own infamous sayings.... we hope you are
"sufficiently saffunctified".

1 Comments:

Blogger Terry said...

Sorry to hear that, Cyndi. No matter how "expected" a death is, it is not easy. Death is still an enemy until we see Christ face to face.

My aunt Edith died at 87 on Friday night. My mom expected it, but it's still a shock. She's one of 3 remaining of 8 kids now. My mom's 82 now and doing quite well, thankfully. In Edson since February, thankfully!

Terry

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home