random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Friday, November 10, 2006

It's been interesting watching the American response to the big upset on Tuesday. The Democrats have returned with a vengence!

It seems the American people have spoken out loudly against Mr. Bush and his agenda. I'm wondering if the vote is more a vote against the Republicans rather than a vote for the Democrats. Kind of like our Canadian election - I don't know that Cdns voted FOR the Conservatives, as much as they voted against the Liberals. Should be interesting to watch and see what happens anyway!

I heard a man on CBC's "The Current" this morning. He has written a book (I only heard a few minutes of the conversation & I don't remember the name of it) but his premise is that 'peace' or 'non-violence' is a viable alternative to war. Interesting idea. I wonder what would happen if conflicts arose and peace was on the table as a possible solution... naive maybe. One of the comments I did hear was how the 'state' ie: the Government, doesn't support peace as a possible solution. Peace is unpatriotic. I'm guessing that the government needs to know that it's people are willing to lay down their lives for their country - & if they are entertaining other ideas (like peace) then they don't love their country enough. It's the ultimate control. Pathetic really. The US is the only democracy left to practice capital punishment. What that says is that we as a country say it is wrong for any of YOU to commit murder(s) - only the 'state' is allowed to kill. Corporal punishment, like war, is nothing more than bully tactics. Don't push us - we'll beat you up.

So non-violence is a viable solution to solving conflicts - even on a global scale. It's taking the ideas that we teach in our homes and saying that they aren't just for children - grown-ups can play nice too. Yah, maybe it's pretty naive - and the odds are it'll never be given more consideration by any other than the radical few - but it's a comforting thought.

Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw when we were in Vancouver:

"Will work for peace"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home