random musing

Thoughts that pop into my head from time to time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hope, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a wife, homeschooling mom, and lover of art. I seek to follow Jesus completely.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Lest we forget.

Rememberance Day is once again upon us. Time to recall and reflect on the men and women who selflessly gave themselves up for the greater good of mankind. The people who left home and family to go and fight for their country. I think of Reid's dad. Knowing the type of person he was I bet he left home with only a slight bit of fear and trembling and tons of excitment and adventure on his mind. And knowing him I am also sure he came home a different man because of what he'd seen. I know that right up until he passed away at 84, he had never forgotten anything he saw or anyone he'd met during the war. The experience of war for a man in his 20's lasted a lifetime. And I'm sure it is the same for all who serve. When I watch our soldiers parade in to our cenotaph - when I see them walk with pride in their uniforms - I always am moved to tears. Always. I am proud of these men and women. I hope they know that the hopes and dreams that I've achieved and that my children will achieve are built on their pain and blood.

And yet. War is not the answer. I like to think of myself as a pacifist but I'm not sure that I am. Not 100%. World War 1 and WW 2 were, according to the history books, just wars. They were wars that occured because there simply were no other options - the world was at stake. So in all honesty, I don't know that I am opposed to those wars or the reasoning behind them. However, since then we have experienced war. True, none to the scale of the WW's, but wars all the same. Unjust wars. Wars that were not absolutely necessary. I'm thinking of course now of the war in Iraq. It disgusts me on every level. We have our own Canadian troops in Afghanistan. The loss of life has been huge. My heart aches utterly and completely every time I hear of another death.

So today, my children & I will remember. We will remember the character of the people who give everything up for what they believe. We will remember Grampie. We will pray that human kind will learn.

We will not forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home